Skip to main content
Boat, Snowmobile & ATV
Boat, snowmobile and ATV registration and titles are issued through the Recorders’ office.

To register a new boat, snowmobile or ATV you must have proof of sales tax paid and a CO (Manufacturers Certificate of Origin) or MSO (Manufactures Statement of Origin). All snowmobiles and ATVs, boats 17’ or longer, or a boat which has a lien are required to be titled. Canoes are exempt from MCO’s, MSO’s and titles.

To transfer a boat, snowmobile or ATV you need a current up-to-date registration, Bill of Sale and title. The seller must sign both documents and give them to the buyer. The buyer has 30 days from the date of sale to transfer the documents. Sales tax is due on a boat, snowmobile or ATV when purchased from a dealer or an individual.

All boat registrations expire on April 30 every third year including, 2013, 2016, 2019, 2022... and so fourth. The fees for new and renewal registrations for boats are based on the length of the boat. A $5.00 penalty is added to the fee for any expired registrations. Contact the Recorder’s office for prices.

Snowmobile and ATV registrations expire on December 31st each year and can be renewed starting September 1st through December 31st. A $5.00 penalty is added to the fee for any expired registrations.
    114 E. 6th St.
    Carroll, Iowa 51401

    The Recorder's Office is on the Southeast corner of the main floor of the Courthouse

    Phone: 712-792-3328

    [email protected]

    Office Hours:
    Monday - Friday
    8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

    Ashten Wittrock
    County Recorder