Skip to main content
Well Permits

New wells need to be constructed in a sound manner, and in locations where contaminants are not able to penetrate the groundwater. It is for this reason, that anyone having a well drilled must obtain a permit prior to having the work completed. The well driller also must be a State Certified Well Driller in order for them to work in the State of Iowa.

Well Permits are required on all private wells including drinking water wells, vertical heat pump wells, livestock wells, monitoring wells, etc. A permit fee of $175 is required on all wells. Well drillers are required to arrange for a permit prior to starting work. A penalty may apply if a permit is not obtained and a well may be required to be filled in if standards are not met.

The need to water livestock and supply the household makes selecting a good well driller and maintenance of an existing well a priority.


Well Service Providers Typically Serving Carroll & Crawford Counties

(This list in not an endorsement of any well drillers, nor is it meant to be exclusive of any other certified well drillers)

Besnahan Well - Battle Creek, Iowa 51006 - 712-365-4779

Mike's Plumbing - Coon Rapids, Iowa 50058 - 712-999-2923

Hicks Well - Scranton, Iowa 51462 - 712-652-3338

Jacobsen Well - Harlan, Iowa 51593 - 712-755-5457

Meeker Well - Woodbine, Iowa 51579 - 712-647-2262

Middendorf Well-Sioux Rapids, Iowa 50585 - 712-283-2270


    Environmental Health

    608 N. Court St. Suite B
    Carroll, Iowa 51401

    We are located downstairs from the Department of Human Services Office off Court St. OR next to the Carroll County Public Health/Home Care Aide Service/Veteran’s Affairs office off the alley between Court St. and Clark St. The alley entrance is ADA compliant.

    Phone: 712-792-9532
    Cell: 712-830-1018
    Fax: 712-792-9537

    Office Hours:
    Monday - Friday
    8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

    Our work often means we are not always in the office.  Please call before traveling to the office in Carroll.

    Carey Kersey