Skip to main content
Planning and Zoning
Carroll County, along with most communities, has a zoning ordinance that requires a building permit for any new construction or expansion of a building. Although the county and each city has their own ordinances and set of rules, the general theme is usually similar.

When Do I need a Building Permit?

Prior to construction of any structure in Carroll County, whether or not is part of a farming operation, an application for a building permit must be submitted for review and approval. The purpose of the Building Permit is to ensure that the proposed construction meets certain conditions set out for the district in which it is located. The following items are considered when reviewing a permit:

  1. The determination is made if the proposed building is to be used for Agricultural purposes. If it is for agriculture, the building is granted an exemption and no requirements are placed on the building. Iowa Code exempts agricultural buildings from zoning requirements.
  2. If the proposed structure is non-farm related, a determination is made concerning the zoning district in which the proposed building will be located, and its use. A commercial building cannot be built in a residential district, and industrial businesses cannot locate in any other district to keep them separated due to noise, dust and traffic.
  3. Lot sizes and set back requirements from property lines vary for each district. Front yard, side yard, and rear yard set backs are described in the zoning ordinances and the property owner is made aware of the appropriate distances at the time of application.
  4. Special requirements may apply to various districts or uses. Building heights, accessory structures such as sheds, garages and such also have unique requirements.
  5. Other considerations are given when an application is received. If there is a property split or new lot created, Subdivision Regulations may apply.
  6. The purpose of land use planning and zoning is to protect property owners from encroachment of uses that are not compatible. The Zoning Commissions in each county and city make recommendations to the Boards of Supervisors and City Councils on where zoning districts should be located, and what type of restrictions should be put into place. Each property owner has a right to do what they want to with their land, unless it infringes on the use and enjoyment of the surrounding property owners. That is why land use plans are developed with public input, and zoning ordinances are created to control development in the best interest of the public as a whole.

Do you need a building permit?

The answer is yes. Check with your city office, or if you are located outside the city limits, call the Carroll County Zoning Administrator at 712-792-1022 opt. 1.


Zoning District and Flood Plain Maps 

Zoning District and Flood Plain Maps are for general information only and not to be relied upon for specific properties.  Always check with the Zoning or Flood Plain Authority for the most current classification.  When using the map at the following link.  Use the window to the right to scroll down and check the Zoning and Flood Plain Views. Areas highlighted two miles around the Cities of Carroll and Glidden are in the jurisdiction of those respective cities.  The shaded area around the airport has additional height restrictions for all construction.

Property Maps with Zoning & Flood Plain Overlays

Planning and Zoning
Sarah Haberl,

114 E. 6th St.
Carroll, Iowa 51401
The Zoning Administrator's Office is located in the Recorder's Office

Phone: 712-792-1022 #1

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Quick Links